Sunday, September 16, 2007

Stitch Marker Experimentations

I love a rainy day. They mean I can light up the wood stove and stay inside with my knitting and other fun stuff. I was in need of some stitch markers and had finally dug out my beading supplies from the storage loft so it became a "stitch marker making" kind of afternoon. Here's some of my ideas that sort of put themselves together......
These swirly red glass beads are so cool! Hand-made and unique, they are going to look really pretty in use with my Secret of the Stole project - the one in Mist colorway that I might just keep for myself! I think I'll use the "Frog Pond" set on Janet's stole...the blue yarn will look really nice with them.
In my knitting world, every project usually has it's turn in the "Frog Pond" so it seemed appropriate for me to put together this set. The frog is a row marker - as it's a bit bigger - and the other 4 are simple stitch markers. There's a turtle, a bee, a butterfly and a floating leaf. Fun for my frogging adventures and maybe - just maybe - they'll help me keep my feet dry and out of that darned frog pond.
Last but not least is one I did up last night. I asked the Old Man to choose the bead and color to go with this sterling silver kitty. He chose a vivid blue cat's-eye glass rounder. I think he picked that one as my DD's Siamese cat; with her bright blue eyes and queenly demeanor, was sitting regally in his lap. I put it right to use on my moebius cowl. That old ugly earring had to go.
These have been fun to make and I'm going to do some more another day but I'll try the next ones not-so dangly. I like using the sterling silver charms but I also have some precious and semi-precious stone beads I want to use. I wonder if anyone would be interested in being "gifted" with a set. I just might have to do a contest for a giveaway or something. Ideas? Suggestions?

2 comments:

JoanK said...

Vykky -love your stitch markers - especially the kitty with the ball and the frog pond set! Just stumbled upon your blog (likely from SOTS) and have been enjoying your posts - so sad about your lovely yarn - pet sitter is obviously not a knitter!

Contest sounds like fun - hope I get to win or at least try out! Why not ask something you want to know about your readers? Or how many brands of vodka can they name - answers don't matter, just pick one from the hat!

Good knitting, from Winnipeg, Canada

Vykky said...

Hi Joan and thank you for your kind words! I really like the kitty too and want to make more as soon as I can find some new and unusual kitty charms. It seems so many of us fiber folks are also cat lovers!
I also appreciate your thoughts on a contest - I've got a couple of ideas tumbling around in my head so who knows what I'll end up doing. I sure do like your suggestion of using a hat though...it's motivation for me to start working on that beret for my daughter!