Sunday, September 9, 2007

Swatching Fool


Alrighty then - I've been a swatching fool. This is the new colorway - it's called Mist. I sort of like it but it's not at all something I would have chosen for myself. But...I cornered my fav gal at the ole LYS and a poor unsuspecting customer (her husband wisely hid behind the chunky yarn while this was going on), and they were both just adamant that this colorway is perfect for me. It reminds me of a misty morning sunrise over the bay with the purples, reds and blues peeking through. Pretty!

I swatched it out in 3 needle sizes. The label says to use size 2 or 3...this would be perfect for body armour. I tried the size 5 first and that was so stiff, it could be self-supporting. The size 6 were next and they weren't bad but still just too stiff. Geesh, I felt like Goldilocks! So I tried the size 7 and they seem just about right. I am probably going to do up a swatch on some size 8's - just to satisfy my curiosity. This middle pic is the swatch done on the size 7...sorry it's a bit blurry. I have no idea what sort of beads to use with this yarn though....ideas Ladies? Suggestions? Let me know!

Since I was on a roll, I did Janet's yarn on a size bigger needle too. Yum uhm ummm...I love Brittany needles! This was done on a brand new pair of size 9's. Whoa - big needles for a supposed lace project...but it'a gonna work out so good! This guage came out so soft and drape-y...it's perfect! And the clear beads with the silver lining is just right with this yarn - think sunshine sparkling off deep water.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your swatches look so cool! What needle size did you use for the one on the far right? I like the openness of the fabric. Janet's looks fantastic with the larger needle size too. Are you are as excited as I am about this KAL? LOL
25 days....

Vykky said...

Thanks so much Nautical! I'm pretty tickled too. The largest of the Mist yarn was done with an old and much loved pair of bamboo number 7's. I think I've found the proper gauge for both yarns but, just to satisfy my curiosity, I'll do them both in one size larger. If it's ugly, the kitties get it! And no, I'm MORE excited about this KAL cuz I don't have all the worries you do about it - I just get to play and knit and learn and have fun! (Which I'm already doing and we're not even officially started yet - how cool is that?!?)