Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Secret of the Stole Progress

Wink Wink - I started my version of the Secret of the Stole 9 times just to make sure it was correct. Yeah, right! But at least I know it's ok now. Notice I didn't say "right" because I'm just not sure - that's a lack of confidence showing, huh. It's all good - I'm learning SO much! Look, you can see my notes to myself...like writing down exactly where I put in the latest lifeline. Oh, and using a lifeline too!
Sometimes progress ain't pretty. Here, I've had to seperate the 2 points (which I was doing at the same time on one needle) as I had dropped a stitch on the right one. I also stuck tape with a big "R" on the right one as well as put stitch markers on the right side of my work so as to better keep track of what was what. 2 points, 2 bags of balls of yarn, 2 sets of needles, 2 cats watching and not enough notes. Learning is happening here again.
Almost there. This pic shows today's current status. I've joined the 2 points and am making solid progress towards the end of the first hint. I'm ready to do row 71 and this first hint goes through row 85, I think it is. Since I'm caught up on outside chores (and it's looking like rain again), after posting with the Group, I'll settle down to finish this up. Since I'll soon be working on this again, I didn't want to put it onto wire - so it's a bit scrunched up. But I've compared it with some of the awesome work of the more experienced lace knitters on the Group and I really think it's right. Humph...who'da thought. (Notes to self: Continue to use ruler, work in baby steps across the row, use pen as arrow pointer for those steps, count everything, count tricky stuff twice - even to the last 2, insert more lifelines, ignore the phone, cats, significant other, anatomical functions, fire, etc.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always make me laugh! Those fires from forgotten dinner in the oven can be annoying. Ask me how I know.... Great job on the first hint. Keep it up!

Vykky said...

Somehow Nautical, I can't see you as having ever had to go through these terrible baby steps of learning lace work. Nope - doesn't click in my head. But the good news is...I finished Hint One!

SYLVIE said...

I really like reading your posts! Your stole is really looking nice, love the color!

I think we're both having the same kind of troubles :) i.e. husband, cat, making supper, regular lives.

I'm up to row 55 after many do-overs :)

Vykky said...

Oh my yes Sylvie but the husband learned quick (cost him dinner out!) to wait when I'm counting...wish the cats would figure that part out...lol. And "regular lives"? Can we do that when we're learning to become lace knitters?!?