Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Apple Pie and Crust Recipe


Canning at the "Done" stage
Originally uploaded by vykky3630
There's lots more to be done but so far, we have a couple dozen jars of blackberry jam, some low-sugar preserves and apple-pie-in-a-jar. In a couple of days, there will be another wave of these huge Himilayan blackberries ripe so I'll be doing more preserves then. I prefer the preserves over the jam since I use half the sugar and no pectin. (Can't you hear all my diabetic friends applauding?!?)
The Apple-Pie-in-a-jar bakes up so well in my "Nanny's Wonderful Pastry". As a heavier crust, it is perfect for heavy fruit pies, like apple, as well as for quiche and meat pies. Just make sure you have waxed paper on hand before making it as you will NOT be able to roll it out on a floured board. (Trust me on this - I've tried too many times.)
Nanny's Wonderful Pastry
(Double for a 2 crust with left-overs for turn-overs)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup salad oil
1/4 cup cold milk (whole is best)
salt - dash
Mix and roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
Can bake at 400 til set then reduce to 350.
Experience Tips: Make the double batch. Use the waxed paper. For use with the apple pie; bake 15 minutes at 425 to set then reduce to 350 for 45 minutes. This will allow you to bake any meat or whatever for dinner while saving time and electric.

No comments: