Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Treasure Hunting or Property Clearing?

The latest area to be cleared on our 4 1/2 acres. This patch was only about 20 foot by 40 foot max but the grass, weeds and blackberry brambles were as tall as me - about 5 feet. I used just my leather gloves, a pair of hand pruners and lastly, my trusty steed; Timothy Lawrence the Lawn Tractor. (T.L. the L.T. - get it? Yeah, I'm OCD and name my vehicles and more important tools - deal with it).
And what did I find on my latest "treasure hunt" of the property" Look...I found a 35 foot intact TV antenna with 50 feet of attached co-ax cable, a 50 foot garden hose, 3 sprinklers total, a cooler and a whole wheelbarrow full of wood. Oh, and a big ole plastic pipe...irrigation type maybe?
Why was I so determined to clear out this patch of pasture? Well, I've always been one to work out my heavy heart with busy hands. So while I was grieving Matt, I was digging and pulling and crying and tugging and sobbing and cutting my way through it all. And (see pic below), this is what I eventually found...life under the crap. (There's a heavy-duty message there). And while I know next to nothing about growing grapes, these seem to be doing alright without any interference from me. Next Spring, however, I've been learning that I get to chop em way back and re-train em. Guess between now and pruning time next March, I've got loads of time to learn how to take care of em the best way possible, huh. The cats are happy, though, with the new mousing space. I've found most of them out there - perched up on the tomatoe tires...surveying their kingdom perhaps? And watching the mice scurry across the new "wide open spaces". And since I've gotten this much of that area cleared, I'm thinking that next "attack" will be to join this cleared space with the path I made out to the well. Sure would be nice to get the pump hooked up to real water (our water association is nice folks who know nothing about water) and tap into that liquid gold. Yup, to me, well water is a true gift of the Gods. Plus, the well is right next to one of the apple trees (that desperately wants pruning next Spring too) and is currently surrounded by all those yummy Himalayan-variety blackberries.
So much to do...wish I could clone myself like 4 times. Maybe 5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, what did you do with the antenna? Inquiring minds....

Vykky said...

LOL...like so many other "treasures" I'm finding around here, it was dismantled into recycling bins. There wasn't enough of it intact to make it "useable" and since we don't watch much TV (can't tell you the last time - maybe 4 months ago?), I'd much rather recycle it and/or use the scrap funds for gas money (Timothy Lawrence the Lawn Tractor is a thirsty lil rascal!). Speaking of which, he's waiting so we can do the 8 hour lawn routine and THEN it's knitting time!